Whole Grain Seeded Bread
Tags:[baking bread five-stars]
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 1/4 tsp yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup, agave, or honey if not vegan
- 1/2 Tbsp salt
- 1 Tbsp flaxseed meal
- 2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Whole-Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1 3/4 cups Bob’s Red Mill Unbleached All-Purpose Flour (plus more for rolling / dusting)
- 2 Tbsp raw or roasted sunflower seeds
- 2 Tbsp rolled oats
- First bloom the yeast. Combine 1/4 cup warm water (warm like bathwater 110 F) with yeast and sugar. Let sit for 10 minutes or until yeast has doubled in size. If the yeast doesn’t grow or bubble then the water was too hot and you killed the yeast.
- Combine the yeast, the rest of the water (1 1/4 cups), maple syrup (or other sweetener), salt, flaxseed meal, and flours in a large mixing bowl and stir. The result will be a sticky, rough dough. If using a stand mixer, beat at medium speed for about a minute. Otherwise just use a spoon to stir until well combined and when it can no longer do the job.
- Knead the dough for at least 10 minutes (if by hand) until it becomes smooth and elastic. Add flour as needed to make the dough less sticky.
- Lift the dough out and lightly grease the bowl with nonstick spray or olive oil. Cover and let rise for 2 hours at room temperature and 2 hours in the fridge. Alternatively, if you only have 2 hours, let rise at room temperature and skip the fridge (though a longer rise is best).
- Use fingers to create a small hole in the dough and pour in sunflower seeds and oats. Transfer dough to a lightly floured work surface and knead about 20 turns or until elastic. Form into a loaf-like shape.
- Place seam-side down in a lightly greased loaf pan or baking sheet and sift a light coating of flour over the top to help keep the dough moist. Loosely cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 45-60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (218 C)* toward the end of the dough resting time and place a metal or cast iron pan (NOT glass, Pyrex, or ceramic) on the lowest oven rack. Also have 1 cup of hot water ready.
- When the oven is preheated, slash the bread 2 or 3 times with a knife, making a cut about ½-inch deep.
- Place in oven on middle rack. Then carefully pour hot water into the shallow pan on the rack beneath. Expect it to bubble and steam; then close oven door quickly.
- Bake the bread for 26 to 35 minutes, or until deep golden brown and risen.
- Remove the bread from the oven and let rest in the pan for 5 minutes. Then carefully remove from pan and transfer to a cooling rack to cool. Let it cool completely before slicing for best results (otherwise it can be doughy in the middle).
- Store leftovers in a plastic bag at room temperature for up to a few days. Transfer to freezer for longer term storage.